6 FEBRUARY 2009
British Muslims to deliver letter of thanks to Turkish Government
In recognition of the principled stand of the Turkish people and the government of the Republic of Turkey throughout and after the Gaza crisis, a British Muslim delegation will be delivering a letter of thanks and support to the Turkish Embassy in London this afternoon.
Led by Lord Ahmed of Rotherham and Dr Daud Abdullah, Deputy Secretary-General of the Muslim Council of Britain, representatives of the main Muslim organisations in the UK will meet with Turkish Ambassador His Excellency Mehmet Yiğit Alpogan and express the gratitude of British Muslims to the government and people of Turkey.
Throughout the criminal Israeli attacks on Gaza, Turkish streets were simmering with anger, protests and vigils for the victims, with their government, led by Prime Minister Ragab Tayyeb Erdogan, taking a courageous and principled stand against the Israeli aggressor. Mr Erdogan's walk-out during a verbal encounter over Gaza with Israeli President Shimon Perez at the last Davos Economic Forum, and his return home to a hero's welcome, highlighted the leading and pivotal role
Turkey had assumed throughout the crisis.
Dr. Daud Abdullah, Deputy Secretary-General of the MCB stated: "The Turkish Prime Minister demonstrated courage of a rare, but much needed, kind. For the leader of a major nation to assume such a principled stand offers great hope to us all, and reignited peoples' faith in the ability of politics and politicians to bring change. We look forward to meeting His Excellency the Ambassador and expressing our support and solidarity with the government and people of Turkey."
Notes to the editors:
- The delegation will be meeting with His Excellency Ambassador Mehmet Yiğit Alpogan at the Turkish Embassy in London on Friday 6th of February at 16.15
- The delegation comprises of the following representatives:
1. Lord Nazir Ahmed of Rotherham
2. Dr Daud Abdullah, Muslim Council of Britain & Chair of the Coalition.
3. Mohammad Sawalha, British Muslim Initiative
4. Dr Arafat Madi, Palestinian Return Centre
5. Dilwar Hussain Khan, Secretary-General, Islamic Forum of Europe
6. Mohamed Ali, Islam Channel
7. Faisal Hanjera, Federation of Student Islamic Societies
8. Mawlana Mowdud Hasan, Da'watul Islam
9. Dr Hafiz al-Karmi, Palestinian Forum in Britain
10. Sayed Ferjani, Muslim Association of Britain
07947 787 222 | 07899 806 000
Children's Demo Outside No. 10 Downing Street for the Children of Gaza
Join the Children's Demo to show solidarity for the children in Gaza and all over Palestine. Bring your children along; let us not be silent any more.
Date: Sunday 8th February 2009
Time: 1.30pm – 3.00pm
Place: Outside 10 Downing Street
Nearest Tube Stations: Charing Cross (Northern Line), Westminster (Jubilee Line) and Embankment (District and Circle Lines)
Organised by: Islamic Human Rights Commission and Palestinian Forum of Britain.
Supported by: Islamic Forum of Europe, Friends of Al-Aqsa, British Muslim Initiative, Muslim Association of Britain, Young Muslim Organisation UK, Palestine Internationalist, Muslimaat UK, Friends of Lebanon, FOSIS, CAMPACC, Islamic Centre of England, Innovative Minds and Palestinian Return Centre.
Join us to protest for the rights of the oppressed and innocents in Gaza. Join the Struggle for Justice.
*Children must be accompanied by parents, teachers or supervisors at all times.