Sunday, August 24, 2008

BEST FAST

(119) Narrated Abdullah bin 'Amr: The news of my fasting was mentioned to the Prophet . So he entered upon me and I put for him a leather cushion stuffed with palm-fibres. The Prophet sat on the floor and the cushion was between me and him. He said to me, "Isn't it sufficient for you (that you fast) three days a month?" I said, "O Allah's Apostle! (I can fast more than this)." He said, "You may fast) five days a month." I said, "O Allah's Apostle! (I can fast more than this)." He said, "(You may fast) seven days." I said, "O Allah's Apostle!" He said, "Nine." I said, "O Allah's Apostle!" He said, "Eleven." I said, "O Allah's Apostle!" He said, "No fasting is superior to the fasting of (the Prophet David) which was one half of a year, and he used, to fast on alternate days. (See Hadith No. 300, Vol 3) (Book #74, Hadith #294) BUKHARI



(102) Narrated 'Abdullah bin Amr bin Al-As: My father got me married to a lady of a noble family, and often used to ask my wife about me, and she used to reply, "What a wonderful man he is! He never comes to my bed, nor has he approached me since he married me." When this state continued for a long period, my father told the story to the Prophet who said to my father, "Let me meet him." Then I met him and he asked me, "How do you fast?" I replied, "I fast daily," He asked, "How long does it take you to finish the recitation of the whole Quran?" I replied, "I finish it every night." On that he said, "Fast for three days every month and recite the Qur'an (and finish it) in one month." I said, "But I have power to do more than that." He said, "Then fast for three days per week." I said, "i have the power to do more than that." He said, "Therefore, fast the most superior type of fasting, (that is, the fasting of (prophet) David who used to fast every alternate day; and finish the
recitation of the whole Qur'an In seven days." I wish I had accepted the permission of Allah's Apostle as I have become a weak old man. It is said that 'Abdullah used to recite one-seventh of the Qur'an during the day-time to some of his family members, for he used to check his memorization of what he would recite at night during the daytime so that it would be easier for him to read at night. And whenever he wanted to gain some strength, he used to give up fasting for some days and count those days to fast for a similar period, for he disliked to leave those things which he used to do during the lifetime of the Prophet. (Book #61, Hadith #572) BUKHARI



In Ramadhan we don’t have much choice, if we are able to fast we must, and many people have told me how exited they are to starve themselves, so I was thinking about it and what exactly are we starving. Well, our desires are being fed and full filled each day and one of the most often desire which we regularly feed our naffs/desires with is eating in many cases. You feel like eating this so u go get it or make it, u feeling hungry so u go satisfy your desires. Fasting forces us to attack our desires in many ways and helps you control your naffs for the sake of Allah. With the shaytaan chained up in this holy month we have the opportunity to recognize the sicknesses in our hearts, replace them with good, and build habits that will keep us closer to Allah insha Allah and much more...



Ramadhan is very powerful for self correction and such. To do a few days a month outside of Ramadhan is hard and roughing it out when your body is use to eating most of the month is a good attack on your naffs, but there is no non-obligatory fast better than the fast of Dawoud A.S. To eat 1 day and fast the next is a constant reminder to your desires who is boss. You feed it, then starve it, and so on...



May Allah give us the ability to increase and intensify our good, and protect us from slipping into evil insha Allah

No comments:

Post a Comment