Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu,
You will by now have witnessed the horrific scenes of murder of Palestinians at the hands of Israeli missiles. There has been widespread revulsion about this massacre and a sense of helplessness from people around the world, unable to do anything about it. Aside from our prayers to Allah to seek His Mercy, many of us may wonder what we can do to help the people of Palestine and persuade our government to condemn the Israeli military machine and stop giving it diplomatic cover to carry out its task with impunity.
I am writing this email to suggest ways you can join other MCB affiliates to make a difference, and do things yourself in your own community and call for change from the grassroots:
1. Donate Money - The Palestinian people are in urgent need for your donations for urgent medical aid and you can donate to:
MCB affiliate - Interpal, the specialist charity helping Palestinians:
Phone: Call the Interpal hotline: 02089619993
Online: Go to www.interpal.org and follow the online instructions
Interpal Account Details:
Account Name: Interpal
Bank: Islamic Bank of Britain
Sort Code: 30-00-83
Account Number: 01095401
Other MCB charity affiliates specialising in the region are: Islamic Relief (www.islamic-relief.org.uk ), Muslim Aid (www.muslimaid.org ), Muslim Hands (www.muslimhands.org) and Ummah Welfare Trust www.uwt.org
2. Join a Peaceful Protest and let your voice be heard
A list of events can be found here:
Tuesday 30th December 2008: 2pm – 4pm (In front of the Israeli Embassy, 2 Palace Green, Kensington High Street tube station London W8 4QB)
Wednesday 31st December 2008: 2pm – 4pm (In front of the Israeli Embassy)
Thursday 1st January 2009: 2pm – 4pm (In front of the Israeli Embassy)
Friday 2nd January 2009: 2pm – 4pm (In front of the Egyptian Embassy, 26 South Street London,W1K 1DW)
National Protest Saturday 3rd January 2009: 2pm onward (Trafalgar Square London)
3. Sign the following petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/gaza2812/petition.html
4. Get your community to write, call and meet your Member of Parliament. Our MPs have been elected to serve us and we should make sure that we contact them and pressurise them to do something against this Israeli brutality. Lobby your MP to sign or initiate an Early Day Motion that calls on our government to condemn the Israeli government for massacre of Palestinians. Be polite, to the point and make your request specific. You can find out you your MP is here: www.theyworkforyou.com
5. Let others know. Participate by writing letters to the editor and taking part in television, radio and online discussion forums. Remember to keep your points succinct and polite. You can find some letter-writing tips here: (www.arabmediawatch.com/amw/Resources/LetterWritingTips/tabid/134/Default.aspx). Change starts at home so you might also wish to seek local coalitions and work with people around you, of all faiths, to highlight the plight of the Palestinians.
6. Call the Foreign & Commonwealth Office - Express your concern with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, please call 020 7008 1500.
The MCB will also be writing to the Prime Minister and the Foreign Secretary and will be asking for tougher action against Israeli war crimes. We will be seeking a meeting with key influencers to make our points known. In addition, a wide coalition of groups will be publishing an open letter in the press tomorrow.
And finally, do not forget the power of Dua, our work should always be coupled with our prayers to Allah to alleviate the suffering of the Palestinian people.
Dr Daud Abdullah
Deputy Secretary General, MCB